Business Applications Developer
- Country: UK
- Location: Royston, Cambridge
- Job ID: 10431
- Area of Interest: IT Support
- Department: Systems Development (UK1)
- Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Job DescriptionWe’re an innovation and transformation consultancy that believes in the power of ingenuity to build a positive-human future in a technology-driven world. Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking with breakthrough-technologies to progress further, faster.
With a global network of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 clients, we’ll offer you unrivalled opportunities for growth and the freedom to excel. Combining strategies, technologies and innovation, we turn complexity to opportunity and deliver enduring results, enabling you to build a lasting career.
Isn’t it time you joined us?
Join us and work with our Application Management team to efficiently deliver both change and support for the applications that the internal IT function have responsibility for. This portfolio of applications enables consulting and functional teams to operate effectively across PA.
The Application Management team is split into two areas of focus: one area looks after the Microsoft Application Stack and the other looks after Oracle Applications. As a whole, the team provides an important service to the business and helps to deliver the IT services (both in terms of BAU support and wider changes that are required) via a consistently great customer experience and ensuring they meet all policy and compliance requirements.
The Application Management team also has responsibility for constant improvement – reviewing how the system design, processes and data can be optimised to make service improvements and taking a pro-active approach to lead and not just respond to business requirements.
The Business Applications Developer role will play a key part in the team to deliver an effective and efficient service to all areas of the organisation, achieving high levels of customer satisfaction and the highest quality in client delivery.
This is a role focused on the design and development of innovative, re-usable and highly maintainable software solutions, with you showing a sound application of software engineering principles and the software development lifecycle.
This will be achieved by both working on your own and with the wider team to understand and interpret requirements and then provide technical options on how to best meet the needs of the business. You will then build, unit-test and document the agreed solution.
It will also require the ability to work closely with the support team, requiring problem solving skills and the ability to interrogate existing technical solutions to understand and resolve live issues.
The role will initially focus on understanding the current portfolio of applications and the way they fit together, reviewing and improving the interfaces that have been put in place for a major programme of work that is transitioning the firm to use PeopleSoft Financials ERP for Commercial Management activities from the in-house system that has been in place for 25+ years.
The role will expand to include support for other major programmes of work (currently we are moving our intranet to SharePoint Online and other related Office 365 tools), other Microsoft technologies (e.g. Dynamics CRM) and a variety of smaller discrete projects involving third party products.
We are moving to use a more current set of IT applications/platforms and we will need the ability to create, review and improve the ways in which we can get the best out of these technologies. This will ensure that this role stays current and in demand!
- Whilst a recognised IT qualification would be preferred, we will consider applications where equivalent knowledge and expertise has been obtained via experience
- Demonstrable success in delivering IT solutions based on Microsoft development tools
- Understanding and experience of the software development lifecycle
- Experience of working in the Microsoft Stack, preferably with experience of the following:
o Microsoft Biztalk 2010 and above (ideally Biztalk 2016)
o SQL Server (ideally 2012 and above)
- Works with diverse stakeholders and creates strong relationships with customers, within the IT function and with any delivery partners
- Communicates highly effectively, both verbally and in written format. Translates IT concepts into business language
- Follows formal methodologies and processes with an attention to detail
- Takes an open-minded approach when both problem solving and identifying solutions to a problem
- Takes an open-minded approach to both business change and technology change
- Has a ‘can do’ and personable attitude
- Works to deadlines and prioritizes tasks
- Takes initiative and works as part of a multi-disciplinary team as well as independently
- Maintains own knowledge and skills with a desire to keep up to date with current technology
- 3 years’ experience within a global professional services industry sector(s)
About PA Consulting Group
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn,)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.